Saturday, March 24, 2012

And Just Like That

Just like that: I wrote three papers totaling 29 pages and submitted them over three days, plus gave a six minute presentation, and when the final paper was written and submitted at 1:23am on Wednesday March 14th (it was due at 9am that day, which was silly in itself), I was done with my almost four year stint at Seattle University and a major chapter in my adult life.

It has since been a major week or so in transition.

From my final quarter as a Senior at Seattle University, I got two As and a B. Not bad, or at least I am not complaining.

After the hecticness (is that a word? it should be) of completing my quarter in three days (I don't recommend it as I got 4-6 hours of sleep a day and got so overwhelmed I had to stop responding to texts and emails until like 6pm at night), I also had the joy of moving out in about two days. I say about because I did not start packing until 5pm Wednesday night, and then my parents rolled up Thursday at 10am and managed to get all but one trunk load of stuff into our two cars and home to Renton by like 12:30. It was amazing. All I had to do was drive back again for the one load Thursday evening, and then check out of my vacummed and cloroxed room at 2pm Friday.

In addition to ALL THAT, I also had two interviews for Big Girl Jobs, one the day I moved out of my apartment and then one the Tuesday after.

Peep my grown up, business woman interview outfit!

Oh, speaking of moving out of my apartment, I bet you're wondering where I moved to? Casa van Ingen all the way. Where I get up every day to take my brother to school, and by get up I roll in with my sweats so that he can be there between 8:15 and 8:25. When I usually have to de ice my car while that bum- I mean child- sits warm in the car under the blanket eating frosted mini wheats. 

Between eating (this is literally the first verb that came to mind, no joke, and I didn't even intend to type that, but I shall leave it to remain true to myself), working, schlepping, interviewing, and sleeping, I am also trying to read for fun for the first time in four years. First on the list is Slammerkin, a fictional novel by Emma Donohue. I read her book Room, which was sad but pretty good, so I decided to read her earlier book. Fun fact: Slammerkin is a word from the eighteenth century that means a loose dress or a loose woman. Saucy 

I have determined, however, that I am practically more busy now than I was in school. In school at least, I had a set class schedule and a lot of lolly gagging time in between with which to procrastinate (or at least that's what it felt like). Now I get up every day in the 7am hour and then have a day full of nothing or a day full of errand running, mostly the errand running variety. It's like now that I have no set schedule unless I work, I have to fill my day with a to do list to maintain sanity.

And the under current of this all, I feel, is this real life? I don't think graduating has fully hit me (if anything, moving home has more than finishing my entire Bachelor's Degree), but everything I do feels like a shadow of the real world, when I really think that I'm existing in it right now.

Enough big girl musings for tonight! Taking all your interview outfits and general interview advice, plus reading for fun picks, and queen mattress suggestions (more on that later, growing up is like lighting, I tell ya). (And if you don't believe me, ask Andrew, he is 5'6!)

6 Comments:

Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

You can't be graduating already!!! I feel ooooollllld!! Okay, maybe not *that* old ;-) Doesn't it feel nice to be done with school? Despite having to wait a few months before walking, it's got to be some relief. I won't be able to make it out for your graduation, though :-( .

Good luck on your job hunt!

And no way is Andrew and tall as I am...that's just not fair >:-(

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Not Not Yo Dad said...

Hope that you get a job soon, so that you can help that father of yours. Good luck and try applying at Boeing, Raytheon, and other good aerospace jobs. I bet that they are starting to hire people now.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

Wow, I can't believe it's been four years since that summer we came to visit and took a tour of the SU campus. Congrats Ally, you did it! I look forward to your next blog that hopefully contains a grad gift wish list.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I am so proud of you!! You achieved it with success while working TWO jobs. Well deserved. I know you will succeed in life with the same work ethic & committment you put into your academic career. Uncle Mike & I look forward to your celebration in June. Congratulations 2012 Grad! As for tips.......check out usajobs.gov. It's all worldwide government job openings. I've seen a few in the past located in Renton!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous The Big Man said...

You're not going to be participating in the Senior Streak are you?

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog, you really speak from the heart, and its really amazing. Hey can you check out my blog? http://kjane101.blogspot.com/ Thanks! And keep blogging!

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home